Knock-Your-Socks-Off Hot Chocolate

Knock-Your-Socks-Off Hot Chocolate

I’ve been mourning the lack of bone broth lately. Since moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, I’ve been scrambling to find grass fed beef and lamb, and pastured poultry.

I was finally able to order a whole lamb and 1/2 cow at a good price, but it will be a little bit of a wait before they are processed and transferred to my freezer. I still haven’t been able to find pastured soy/corn-free chickens for less than $7/lb. I’ve had to do a lot of rearranging in the grocery budget and some hard work searching for deals to keep food costs reasonable.

Still, having no chicken and no beef bones means no chicken and beef stock, which seriously limits my ability to make, well, EVERYTHING it seems! I’m used to having 1-2 gallons of bone broth on hand at a time. Now I have zero. That means no egg drop soup for breakfast, less robust stews and curries (using water just isn’t the same), and no homemade pho or tom kha gai.

No broth for breakfast, means no medium for my eggs. Or so I thought… Until I had this grand idea to whisk one into a cup of hot chocolate instead!

Let me tell you, the result was a decadent cup of hot chocolate, with a thick creamy texture and silky-smooth mouthfeel. It was like drinking the richest cream—liquid chocolate. HeavenlyI also added a spoonful of pastured butter, just because. Now, who can feel bad about a breakfast like that? ;)

To make Knock-Your-Socks-Off Hot Chocolate

• 2 cups pastured milk (find here)
  • 1 pastured egg
  • 2 TBSP raw honey (buy here) or grade b maple syrup (buy here)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (buy here)
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (buy here)
  • 1 TBSP pastured butter or ghee (buy here)
  • In a small saucepan, whisk the egg together with the milk. Add the other ingredients. Only after all ingredients are in the pan, continue whisking and turn heat to medium. Whisk the ENTIRE TIME so that the egg doesn’t cook into clumps. Remove from heat when the milk is warmed and all the cacao powder has mixed in. Sip slowly and enjoy. :)

Liked this article? To read more things like this, sign up for my email newsletter.

Comments

1. Tracie says

Thankyou SO much for sharing this recipe :D We have a hobby farm near Calgary Canada and I’m quite often outside in frigid temps for hours at a time,this is such a welcome ‘treat’ when I head back to the house. I’m lucky enough to be raising hens and we also own a Jersey cow so we have an endless supply of raw milk and pastured eggs. I’m not usually a fan of whipped cream on hot drinks because I have raw cream on hand I dolloped some on top….just because I can! lol Second time around I tried it with just a pinch of chilli powder which worked great too

2. cindy says

Looks delish. Moved to Madison, WI from SF, CA. Try looking at http://www.realfoodbayarea.com/ for ideas or to purchase from directly. We were a host site when they first started. Oh, how I miss them! Not sure where in the Bay area you are, but they deliver all over.

As for chickens, you can try Chaffin Farms but it’s seasonal. We used to do a cow share and get meat from Prather Ranch.

3. Karen says

Made this tonight. Fantastic. See if the kids taste the difference. I usually just use cocoa, milk and sugar. I did use Ahlaska organic cocoa powder and added a little more sugar. If all goes well with the kiddos, I will use raw cacao and add more honey or syrup to sweeten. I love one person’s idea to add some chia seeds for morning breakfast!

4. H Lau says

We just tried your recipe in the vitamix. We put it on the soup mode, which is 7 minutes, and it turned out really good. Thank you! Trying your pudding recipe next! Thank you!

5. Sarah Carroll says

The weather has just gotten cool enough for hot chocolate or hot cider, and I had neither when the craving hit. This was so much better than any mixes I’ve ever found, and almost as simple. Thanks!

6. Becky says

I’m feeling your pain! Recently moved from Jackson Hole, which has everything a whole foodie could ask for, to my small home town in northern AZ. Here I’ve got a sprinkling of organics at our local grocer, but I have to drive an hour to visit a New Frontier store. It’s been very challenging, and prices are definitely higher. We do what we can!!

7. says

Just made this and YUM. I didn’t know if I’d like the mouth feel, with it being so thick, but it’s delicious.

Husband gave it 8 out of 10, but he’s notoriously hard to please. :)

Thanks for the recipe.

~Angela

8. Rae says

As an SF native – I would recommend Berkeley Bowl, Rainbow Market, Trader Joes and in the ferry building you can look at bristol market and golden gate meat co.

9. Suzanne says

I just tried this recipe using my vitamix instead of putting it on the stove. It turned out beautifully — creamy and warm! I drank half of it and am putting the rest of it in a jar with about 3T of chia seeds to have for breakfast tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

10. says

Egg in my hot chocolate? What a great idea! I wonder how this would work if I replaced the milk with 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water (I’m sensitive to milk, and pregnant, so can’t do GAPS yet :-/). Thanks for sharing!

11. Mitch says

WOW, I’m sure glad I live in Canada. Grass fed/finished beef is easy to come by, free range chicken, and organic pork & eggs are cheap..

I’m not much of a milk drinker, I prefer Almond Milk over cows milk.. and Raw milk is still illegal in Canada..

• Becca says

Same… thanks for the recipe! I will use coconut milk but can back up the other things Mitch says… good quality grass finished or fed meat + free-range eggs are cheap and easy to come by but raw milk! Horrors, should you even suggest such a thing!

12. says

You might look into Marin Sun Farms for pastured meat and chicken. Their whole chickens are something like $3.99/lb, if I remember correctly.

13. jen says

Hey I’m in northern California too, and everything can be expensive! I have a garden and chickens, and my in-laws raise beef, I pretty muc lucked out :D. But check out some of the Co-ops. Usually one day a month they’re 10-15% off, you can stock up and get all the great yummy food.

14. says

This sounds AMAZING! Just my kind of breakfast, too… the sort that can follow me around the house in a mug.

Plus we’ve just made the — long overdue — leap from cocoa to cacao, and I spend a lot of time eyeing my new cacao powder suspiciously wondering what I should *do* with it. Well, now I know. :)